Hon. George Dixie Colbert
1925 - 1980
Judge George “Dixie” Colbert was known as a man of integrity. He dedicated his life to service for his country, family, the judicial process and the Chickasaw Nation.
Born in 1925, Colbert was the son of Elmer and Julia Colbert and the grandson of Dixie H. Colbert, whose allotment encompasses what is now much of the town of Sulphur.
He attended Carter Seminary School in Ardmore and later Sulphur Public Schools. As a teenager, he began boxing at Oklahoma City’s Wheeler Park to earn groceries to help feed his family.
While boxing for Chief Parris’ Indian Club, Colbert became a two-time Golden Gloves and AAU champion. Competing in 10 tournaments, he won seven times and came in runner-up in the other three. He was awarded both the Oklahoma State and Oklahoma City Golden Gloves titles.
At age 16, Colbert joined the U.S. Coast Guard to participate in World War II efforts. During the war, he served in the Philippine Southwest Pacific Theatre. Upon discharge, he attended Central High School in Oklahoma City, graduating in 1946. He went on to attend Oklahoma City University Law School, graduating in 1954.
Shortly after graduating, Colbert returned to the Chickasaw Nation to re-establish his permanent home and make a positive impact in his community. His subsequent 26-year distinguished career served as an excellent example of Chickasaw servant leadership, perseverance, distinction and commitment.
He was appointed Murray County District Attorney in 1954 and held the position until 1962, when he was elected Murray County Associate District Judge, a position he held until 1971. He then became district judge for the 20th judicial district, which includes Murray, Love, Marshall, Carter and Johnston counties.
He served as district judge until his death in 1980.
Colbert’s passion for and contribution to the Chickasaw Nation is reflected in his children’s commitment to Chickasaw public service. He was proud of his Chickasaw heritage and instilled that pride in his family.